Saturday 30 June 2007

A new dawn


As I set out on my walk just before nine this morning, I got the sense that today marked a new beginning, that the 146km I've walked to date was just a warm-up, that my injury worries were behind me, and that my real training was just starting.

The walk itself was great. It rained a lot yesterday and so it was hard to avoid getting my shoes wet whenever I left the tar seal. However, despite the presence of some low cloud around the hills, the rain stayed away and in fact it was relatively warm.

There weren't many people about. Being a Saturday, I thought there'd be more people out jogging or biking. In all I exchanged verbal greetings with at least four passersby, got a number of nods, was tooted at and waved to by a guy in a passing car, and was almost run over by a postie. I saw plenty of waterlogged sheep, some curious cows, a couple of frisky horses who were forced to share a paddock with some large goats, and the odd dog. I considered stopping for coffee or to buy a banana a couple of times along the way, but decided to push on and made it home in time for lunch.

Distance walked today: 14.1km
Total distance walked since blog began: 160.1km

No comments: