Friday 29 June 2007

Expectations

Now that my flights are finalized, the next step will be to start booking our accommodation. Erik should know pretty soon whether or not he can take the time off work he needs to embark on the Kisokaido Project, and once I have that confirmation I'll start booking the hotels and inns listed on our wiki. Some I'll be able to book over the Internet, either directly or via booking sites like Rakuten Travel, but others will require a phone call or fax to the lodging concerned.

I actually really enjoy this planning phase of overseas trips. Which is just as well, because Erik has mentioned to me on several occasions that he hates it, not because he's a lazy bastard, but because he doesn't like to have too many preconceived ideas about destinations in his head before he leaves, as disappointment can result when a place doesn't live up to expectations. Personally I like the security of knowing to some extent what to expect during my travels, particularly when it comes to accommodation. That still leaves plenty of room during the day for surprises. A lot more than when one's stuck at home working.

Speaking of which, it looks like I've got the whole weekend off, which is a real rarity. Looking forward to a long walk tomorrow.

Distance walked today: 3km
Total distance walked since blog began: 146km

No comments: