Tuesday 12 June 2007

Wireless

I finished watching the second season of The Wire last night. If you hadn't guessed by the lack of postings on the subject recently, I haven't been as enamored with it as I was with the first season. Which isn't to say it doesn't boast the same commitment to realism or isn't full of the same great, earthy characters, just that I haven't been struck with the same "shock of the new" feeling that hit me the first time around. Actually the third season is supposed to be the best. Unfortunately it isn't out on DVD here yet, and I'm not sure I can be bothered getting the region 1 version from Amazon. Next on my viewing list, by the way, is the original 1981 BBC adaptation of The Day of the Triffids, also on DVD courtesy of Grant. I seem to remember enjoying it when it screened here in the 1980s. It'll be interesting to see if it's stood the test of time. It got eight stars on the Internet Movie Database, so it can't have been too shoddy.

I bought some special blister plasters today. They're quite pricey, but I'm keen to test them out on the nascent blister on my left heel to see if it's worth taking a bunch of them when we embark on the Kisokaido Project in October.

In case you hadn't noticed, I topped the 100Km mark yesterday. I was expecting a flood of congratulatory comments...

Distance walked today: 3km
Total distance walked since blog began: 107km

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found those blister plasters tended to fall off when your feet started getting sweaty.

Two layers of socks is a good go, on thin inner pair and thicker outer. But some of those newer tramping socks are pretty good by all accounts

-YudA

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the first century. And what was your highest ever cricket score?
Mark

Erik said...

the later the congratulations come, the more weight they impart. but as bill belichick might say, we haven't done anything yet. excellent start though.

Walking fool said...

Thank you, everyone. Honestly, the last thing I expected was a flood of congratulatory comments.