Wednesday 6 June 2007

Second thoughts

I walked down to the supermarket this afternoon. I'd planned on biking down because I was concerned that two walks in as many days might be too much for my still rather tender big toe. But at the last minute I thought, stuff it, it's a lovely day, I want to walk, I want to put on my new Coolmax trekking socks and my new Wild South Stringer Pullover and see how they feel. So I walked.

I bought the pullover yesterday. I figured I might need an extra layer to slip on (either under or over my fleece vest) in the evening when we're staying in those drafty Japanese inns along the Kiso Valley.

I've been thinking about my wardrobe quite a bit recently. In fact it's been on my mind ever since Erik created a special page on our Kisokaido Project wiki to list all the stuff we'll be packing. I've felt bad because while he's listed everything down to his thermos and toothbrush, under my name it just says, "clown nose, new balance 748s, clown suits" (all of which he wrote anyway). So in the coming days I plan to expand on this a bit.

Incidentally, Erik made the wiki public when he first set it up, but after I freaked out we set it to private. But I'm having second thoughts. Maybe it'd be good to have a public record (in addition to this blog, which is all about my own personal "journey", and Erik's, which is focused on his art) of the collective organizing that's going into the Kisokaido Project. I'll let you know if and when it does go public so you can scrutinize our wardrobes in full. For example, are three pairs of underwear really enough?

Distance walked today: 2.3km
Total distance walked since blog began: 83.7km

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about chaffing? That's one big issue with marathon walks. I have heard of peope using cycle shorts to put a layer of protection down there.

-YudA

Walking fool said...

Erik has some thoughts on the subject. If the wiki becomes public you'll be able to read them.

I have some Teflon shorts which are great for running.

Erik said...

after not enjoying the ballast i carried on my recent practice walk, started thinking two pairs of underwear would be plenty. the less weight the better. will want to edit my own packing list down quite a bit. there's nothing like doing laundry every single day to make a trip really enjoyable.