Saturday 23 June 2007

Closure

I received a delightful letter from ACC (that's Accident Compensation Corporation to you non-Kiwis) yesterday informing me that they've agreed to accept the claim for my toe. I don't actually remember making a claim. It's just a process that's automatically triggered, I think, whenever a medical accident of some kind occurs. Unfortunately this doesn't mean that I'm entitled to vasts sums of money in compensation. I think compensation would only be considered if I needed further treatment (which I don't) or if I made some kind of official complaint against my GP (which I'm not willing to do).

Anyway, I thought the last paragraph of the letter was such a wonderful example of medical/bureaucratic prose (full of jargon but precise and to the point) that I'm going to quote it in full. According to a translation job I just finished, something called "found footage" is big in the video art world at the moment, so think of this as a piece of "found prose" if you like.
Clinical evidence provided to ACC supports that on the 28th of May 2007 at your medical practice you were administered a digital nerve block (anaesthetic with adrenaline) for a resection of your left toe nail. You were incorrectly given local anaesthetic with adrenaline. Your left toe became pale and cold and you were transferred to hospital for treatment (vasodilator infusion). Ischaemia to the left great toe is not considered a necessary part or an ordinary consequence of treatment and is accepted for cover.
In other news, while out shopping today I tried on some Merrell walking shoes. I'm beginning to think that my New Balance 748s may be exerting undue pressure on my great toes, so I'm beginning to look around for some replacements.

Distance walked yesterday: 0km
Total distance walked since blog began: 131.8km

1 comment:

Erik said...

not keen to get all brand-supportive, but i love my merrells.