Sunday 22 July 2007

A Sunday stroll

I've always been captivated by the view of the Port Hills you get walking along Wrights Road past Addington Raceway, although it's slowly disappearing now that offices are going up on the once vacant land next to the raceway itself. Having walked along the hills just over a week ago, I viewed them in a slightly different light today as I tried to make out some of the highlights of last weekend's trek. And then there was Worsleys Track, which wasn't hard to find. It was the muddy brown scar through the pine trees just along from the Sign of the Kiwi.

I've often thought that if I ever became a landscape painter the view of the Port Hills from the city would be one of the first things I'd try to paint. But at one point during last week's walk I had a completely different thought. It was while I was looking down over the other side of the hills at Lyttelton Harbour. What's the point in trying to capture something like this in a painting? I thought. Or any other kind of art, for that matter. How can you possibly do it justice?

The only way you can really share something like that with someone is to drag them up there with you. Even then the chances of them being moved in the same way as you by the same views are pretty slim. Maybe there are some things we just have to savour alone.

Distance walked today: 7.7km
Total distance walked since blog began: 296km
Days left until launch of Kisokaido Project: 91

No comments: