Tuesday 3 July 2007

Rolling vs folding

The thought of carrying something resembling a toilet roll the length of the Nakasendo finally got to me today, and I decided to fold the walking map. When I first unrolled it shortly after it arrived back in May, I discovered it was in a dozen or so lengths, which I joined with sticky tape when I rolled it up again. So today I started unjoining these lengths (each representing around two days' walking) and folding each one individually like a concertina. Rather than walking around with an unwieldy roll of paper in my hands I'll have something about the size of a deck of cards. The folds are just over 5cm apart, representing about 1km in real life, so this will also help us keep track of distances. If this all sounds rather confusing, the photos near the bottom of this page should make it a bit clearer.

Distance walked today: 3km
Total distance walked since blog began: 183.6km

No comments: