Saturday 18 August 2007

Weight + hill

This morning I did a variation of the hill walk I did in late-April. It's not a walk I remember that fondly. It was raining back then, and I was trialing a cheap blue plastic poncho that ended up being a bit of a disaster, both aesthetically and practically. It was also the day my last round of toenail troubles started.

Things were a lot different today. For a start, I had an extra 10kg on my back. On the advice of my brother, I ditched the weights and instead filled the pack with clothes so that it was evenly balanced and nothing hard was rubbing against my lower back. Like last week, I found the going a bit tough at first, especially at the start of the ascent, but I generally felt pretty comfortable throughout. Funnily enough the pack actually seemed more stable during the hill climb. Must be something to do with my gait.

All things considered, the body seems to be coping well with the extra weight. However, restricting my luggage to 10kg during the Nakasendo walk might be pushing it. Fifteen might be more realistic. We'll see.

Distance walked today: 12.4km
Total distance walked since blog began: 475.8km
Days left until launch of Kisokaido Project: 65

2 comments:

Erik said...

had intended to walk today. was just considering slacking off. ok, now i'm out the door. thanks for the push.

Walking fool said...

I should be walking today (Sunday) as well. It's lovely and fine outside. Instead I'm sitting at home working on my memoir.