Sunday 12 August 2007

Post-Nakasendo

Strange though it may seem, I spend quite a bit of time thinking about what I'm going to do after I walk the Nakasendo. I'd heard about a plan to create a walking track the length of New Zealand, but when I went to look it up the other day I couldn't remember its name. Well, last Thursday night Keiko and I went to a play called Hatch, based on the true story of a local politician who was responsible for killing millions of penguins and having them boiled down for their oil, and in the programme it mentioned that the playwright, Geoff Chapple, was also the driving force behind the track. It's called Te Araroa, and it's not a single track but rather a project that involves connecting existing tracks and forming new ones in such a way that they'll eventually stretch the length of the North and South islands. I must admit I haven't explored the website much yet, although what I did see looked pretty interesting. Some people haven't been able to wait until the proposed opening in 2008 and have already walked the route. Maybe a project for the future. Distance walked today: 3km Total distance walked since blog began: 449.8km Days left until launch of Kisokaido soon Project: 70

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do know a couple of people who have walked the South Island, The went stright down the middle crossing the Alps on more than one location

I'm not sure where the actual Te Aroha track is placed but they said their route was quite technical in parts and pretty full on.

K.

Walking fool said...

I suppose there were no cafes along the way? I can't get started without a morning latte.

Anonymous said...

You could get it choppered in

K.