Saturday 2 May 2009

That's more like it

Bento.com is a great website if you're after information about restaurants in Tokyo. I usually check it out whenever I'm heading to a part of the city I'm not familiar with to see if there are any restaurants I might enjoy.

Recently they posted a special article on jazz cafes, which made for interesting reading in light of my own recent series of posts on the topic. But the weird thing is that right after I'd checked the full list of jazz bars and cafes at bento.com, I went to bed and picked up the novel I happened to be in the middle of (The Last Assassin by Barry Eisler), and the first thing I came across was a detailed description of one of the jazz bars I'd just been reading about, Volontaire.

The very next day, I stumbled upon this profile of Eisler at Japan Today. As well as being an ex-CIA operative, it seems Eisler loves listening to jazz, has a black belt in a martial art, and spends a lot of time at hostess bars (in the name of research, of course). So that's at least two things we have in common!

Bonus bento.com link: cat cafes in Tokyo

Distance walked today: 26.6km
Total distance walked since Tokaido training began: 289.6km
Days left until departure: 15

No comments: