Sunday 3 May 2009

Scroggin

When Erik and I walked the Nakasendo in 2007, we kept ourselves going between meals by nibbling on trail mix, or scroggin as we Kiwis call it. We couldn't find any trail mix in Japan, so we made some ourselves with some dried fruit and nuts we bought at a cake ingredient supply shop in Kyoto and various other ingredients we found in supermarkets along the way.

This time I'm thinking of taking a supply of scroggin with me from New Zealand. I'm currently testing two varieties, one from my local supermarket, and another I found in a supermarket in Northlands during my walk on Wednesday. Although the latter bears the name scroggin, I don't really like the flavour, or the individual packaging, which reminds me of the kind of wasteful overpackaging you see in Japan.

Snacking Scroggin (left) and Scrummy Mix

Incidentally, according to Wikipedia the name scroggin, which is only used in New Zealand and Australia, is possibly an acronym for "sultanas, chocolate, raisins, orange peel, ginger, glucose (sugar), improvisation or imagination (i.e., the chef is supposed to add a favorite ingredient), and nuts."

Distance walked today: 3km
Total distance walked since Tokaido training began: 292.6km
Days left until departure: 14

2 comments:

jo said...

Piko do some really amazing mixes too...probably a bit more pricey, but delish, I used to buy it lots when I was studying and pregnant with Sacha.

Walking fool said...

Thanks. I'll check them out. I actually passed Piko during yesterday's training walk.