Tuesday 24 February 2009

Wheels


The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed a slight discrepancy in the Tokaido walking schedule I posted at the start of the month. Day 6 has me arriving in Kuwana, but my departure point on day 8 (day 7 is a rest day in Nagoya) is Miya, which is some 20 kilometres east of Kuwana as the crow flies.

No, I'm not cheating. Three rivers flow into the sea in this area, and because of the width of the river mouths and the frequent changes in water levels, it was considered too difficult to build bridges across them in the Edo period. Accordingly, most people traveled the section from Kuwana to Miya by boat.

There was an alternate inland route for people who didn’t want to travel by sea, but as this also involved traveling part of the way by boat down the Kiso River, it's not an option in 2009. So I'll be traveling between Kuwana and Miya by train. Incidentally, even if I were able to hire a boat, it would be impossible to follow the original sea route due to what looks like land reclamation along this stretch of the coast.

Distance walked today: 3km
Total distance walked since Tokaido training began: 45km
Days left until departure: 82

No comments: