Thursday 12 February 2009

Walking without excuses

From the Nelson Mail:
Bishop Richard Ellena is planning to walk 1000 kilometres around the Nelson Anglican diocese to celebrate the city's 150th birthday and retrace the steps of Nelson's first bishops.
Strangely, I'm still haunted by a comment Erik made nearly two years ago to the effect that he wouldn't be involved in something like walking the Nakasendo if he didn't think he'd end up with material for a body of artwork at the end. Partly this is because I continue to feel guilty that I haven’t contributed anything to the art project since the end of the walk. But also, although I'm sure it wasn’t intended as such, I took this remark as a slight in the form of a denial that walking the Nakasendo had value in its own right.

Recently I've become firmer in my opinion not only that walking does have intrinsic value, but also that people who use walking to promote some cause or to fundraise are denigrating this value. So I get slightly annoyed whenever I read in the newspaper about someone walking the length of the country to raise awareness of such-and-such an issue, or to raise money for such-and-such a cause. I'm not doubting that in most cases the issue or cause in question is important. It's just that I find it disappointing that people either feel the need to come up with some excuse to walk, or regard it as some kind of sacrifice that deserves reward in the form of publicity or financial contributions from others.

I'm not sure where the bishop stands on this. Wherever it is, I wish him well on his epic walk.

4 comments:

Kok Leng Yeo said...

i'll have to agree with you on that. feel the same way.

Dr. Bad said...

Hey Matthew, I've really enjoyed reading your blog over the past couple of weeks - I found it while researching for a trip of my own to walk the whole length of the Nakasendo.

So much good info on here about preparation and gear, it's been a great help. I have a few questions about Maps and Routes that I'm trying to figure out, if you have time I would love to hear what you used by way of a map/route. Cheers.

Walking fool said...

Hi Dr. Bad. Glad you're enjoying the blog. I used a Japanese walking map, details of which you'll find in this post:

http://thewalkingfool.blogspot.com/2007/05/walking-map.html

Unfortunately it's quite expensive and difficult to get hold of outside of Japan.

Another option would be to buy one of the many guidebooks available in Japanese, which have maps, photos, and commentaries. The downside is they're bulkier and usually less detailed than a proper map. I have one called 中山道を歩く. You'll find it at Amazon.co.jp. Big bookstores in Japan will have a range of similar guides.

Then there are several online options. On the website below you'll find links to 22 Google maps with the Nakasendo route plotted. I'm not sure if you can read Japanese, but if not just click on all the links starting at the top and you'll see what I mean:

http://www5.big.or.jp/~ejiri/nakasen/map/index.html

The following website also has maps and photos:

http://www.amy.hi-ho.ne.jp/d08343/nsd/f32600.html

Feel free to email me if you want any more info.

Walking fool said...

walkingfool (at) gmail.com