Thursday 5 February 2009

Speaking of connections...

I'm not very good with names. It's only just dawned on me that Tom Stanley of Walk Japan Ltd., who co-created the previously clunky but now beautiful Nakasendo Way website, parts of which I printed off and used as a guide when we walked the Nakasendo in 2007, is Dr. Thomas A. Stanley, author of Osugi Sakae, Anarchist in Taisho Japan: The Creativity of the Ego.

I should explain that when I went to Tokyo in 1996 it was to do research on Osugi Sakae for a possible M.A. (Things didn't quite go to plan. I blogged about that year here and here.) Japanese anarchism in the Taisho period is a very specialized field, and although my efforts to contribute to it have been pathetic compared to those of Dr. Stanley, it seems remarkable that we're both interested in Osugi Sakae and the Nakasendo. I wonder if he likes Keith Jarrett?

No comments: