Friday 13 February 2009

A new thing

In "The Old New Thing is Newer than Ever", his liner notes to the double CD The Old New Thing: A Free Jazz Anthology, Wu Ming 1, part of the collective that co-wrote the magnificent Q and the intriguing 54, offers the following tips for listening to John Coltrane's The Olatunji Concert.
Before you decide whether you like it or not, listen to it three times. The first time as a mere background while you're doing something else (it's not very good for sex though). The second time, listen to it attentively. The third time, listen to it with earphones as you're walking the streets of your town. Find a way to be on a high place with a view during Jimmy Garrison's bass solo opening My Favorite Things.
I'm not a great fan of walking (or running) with earphones on. It's dangerous, and it creates a barrier between you and your environment. I do have an iPod, but I only ever use it when traveling on trains or planes, never when traveling on foot or bicycle. But I'm tempted to try this. I can vouch for the fact that listening to the same music "as a mere background" (while washing the dishes, for example) and then attentively does broaden one's appreciation of it. But I don’t think I've ever walked the streets of Christchurch listening to music with earphones. Unfortunately I don’t have John Coltrane's The Olatunji Concert. I'm thinking of trying it with some Ornette Coleman instead.

No comments: