Monday 16 February 2009

Summit's Edge: The Sequel

You may recall the saga of the waterproof Rockport Summit's Edge shoes that I bought back in August 2007. You know, the ones that cost me an arm and a leg and were worn just three or four times. The ones that were slightly too big and gave me terrible blisters.

Well, my big brother Mark recently paid a visit from Bhutan, where he now lives, and he mentioned that he needed some new outdoor shoes. I did a bit of investigating and discovered that his feet were slightly bigger than mine. So I had him try on the Rockports. And, lo and behold, they were a perfect fit.

So after sitting in my wardrobe for a year and a half, they're now half a world away treading the streets of Thimphu and ferrying my brother up steep Himalayan mountain tracks to cliff-hanging Buddhist monasteries.

One thing that does concern me is the ability of the suede uppers to cope with the harsh natural environment in Bhutan, including the yak dung. Perhaps Mark could provide a report?

On a completely different note, I decided a while ago that today would mark the commencement of my training for the Tokaido walk. Unfortunately all I had time for was a stroll down to the supermarket and back, so it's not a very auspicious start. Anyway, 90 days to go...

Distance walked today: 3km
Total distance walked since Tokaido training began: 3km
Days left until departure: 90

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, I would like to thank my wonderful brother for donating his shoes to a worthy cause. So far, we have avoided yak dung. Since they are by far my best pair of shoes, they will be reserved for school and we have never seen yaks there.
My concern is that someone in my family will find the shoes and give them a good polish. What will this do to the finish?
P.S. Anybody else wishing to donate goods can contact Matthew. Money will also be accepted, in large denominations! ;)