Monday 20 April 2009

I'm not ready

Yesterday I was rudely reminded of how under-prepared I am for my Tokaido walk. On Saturday morning Keiko and I walked up to the Sign of the Kiwi. We used to do this walk together quite often when I was preparing to walk the Nakasendo (I mapped the route previously), but I don’t think we've done it since then. The walk itself was very enjoyable (although it was pretty foggy up the top and there were no views to be had). However, on Sunday my legs were really sore.

I'm leaving in 27 days. Unlike in 2007, I know what to expect this time, but knowing what to expect and being physically prepared are two different things. Hopefully four weeks is enough time to get myself into good enough shape.

The good news is the nose is looking better every day. The infection seems to have cleared up, and the graft is definitely returning to a more natural skin colour and texture (although it's hard to tell with the goopy ointment on). The scar on my neck is looking better too. I'm almost tempted to give it a shave. It's annoying having to shave around it every morning. Which begs the question: Seeing as they took skin from a part of my neck I normally shave and put it on my nose, does that mean from now on I'll have to shave my nose?

Distance walked today: 3km
Total distance walked since Tokaido training began: 195.2km
Days left until departure: 27

1 comment:

Kok Leng Yeo said...

gosh i hope not, it'll be so silly to have to shave your nose in the morning, or to have stubble there at the end of each day.