Monday 14 May 2007

Silver linings

The toe felt pretty good this morning, about as good as it did last Thursday when I was able to drive over to the other side of town to see some friends, and definitely a lot better then Saturday, when I was completely housebound. But there were still signs of an infection, so I made an appointment with the doctor and went to see him just after midday. I came away with a prescription for another week's worth of a different antibiotic (one small yellowish tablet at night with food, as opposed to the old two white tablets twice a day). We're going to review things again in a week once I've polished those off.

This period of enforced inactivity hasn't been completely without its benefits. Sunday was the first day of complete relaxation I've had for a very long time. I got up latish and watched a bit of the replay of the Crusaders' Super 14 semifinal before having a bath. The rest of the day I spent watching TV, listening to music, and reading. For dinner I sent Keiko out to buy fish and chips, despite the fact that she doesn't like them.

I finished reading Nelson Demille's latest thriller, Wild Fire, which I found unconvincing and a bit of a disappointment, especially after Word of Honour, which I'd finished just a couple of weeks previously. The latter is probably my favourite DeMille book to date, although I also enjoyed Spencerville. DeMille and Gerald Seymour are really the only thriller writers I care for. I usually take one or the other with me whenever I go overseas to pass the time in airports, aeroplanes, and hotels.

Also on Saturday I started reading Andrew Hussey's The Game of War: The Life and Death of Guy Debord. It's an old library copy someone lent to me years ago that remained untouched on my bookshelf until a week or so ago when for some reason, I can't remember why, I suddenly felt the urge to read it and so promoted to the top of my admittedly short reading list. As a vastly more experienced fellow blogger reminded me the other day when I felt I had nothing worthwhile to say and resorted to posting a quote from Debord, I vowed to keep this blog apolitical, so I won't comment about the contents other than to admit that the passionate, iconoclastic, uncompromising, totally committed, no-holds-barred, fun-loving approach to art/life of Debord and those around him is something that I've long admired. Or rather, envied.

Distance walked today: 0km
Total distance walked since blog began: 78.4km

1 comment:

Mark T said...

Clown shoes would give plenty of space for your toes.
Here, in Bhutan, it is seen as a good sign if a male has big shoes. All about things being in proportion.
Got a spare pair of clown shoes for me?