Monday 7 May 2007

The Munted Toe

This morning I hobbled down to the doctor's and had him check my ingrown toenail. To cut a long story short, he gave me a prescription for some antibiotics and we're going to review the situation in a week to see if I need surgery or not. I told him about the Kisokaido Project, and how I really wanted the toe to be right in October to November, and he suggested that if I was still having trouble I should have the offending bit of nail cut out about six weeks before I leave, which would give the toe time to heal but ensure the nail wouldn't grow back and cause trouble during the actual walk.

By the way, my brother Mark left a comment suggesting I post a photo of the toe on my blog. What a sicko! I'm sure there's something in the Blogspot Terms of Service about that sort of thing. If there isn't, then there certainly should be. So no photo. But what I can do is post a piece of art (pictured) I made a couple of years ago after I had surgery on an ingrown toenail on my other foot. I've called it The Munted Toe. I'm thinking of putting the original (ballpoint pen on note paper, 69 x 120 mm, unframed) up for auction on Trade Me, but I've decided to give you, my loyal readers, first option. You can leave any offers in the comments section.

In other news, Erik and I have decided to put back by a couple of days our scheduled departure from Kyoto so that we can catch the Jidai Matsuri, one of the three big annual festivals in Kyoto, on October 22. We'll now be leaving on October 23.

Oh, and yesterday while shopping at Riccarton I found some nice Gore-Tex jackets on sale at Kathmandu, so I bought one! Normal price $569.90, reduced to $249.95. It's just the right length, a nice colour ("Ocean"), and a perfect fit. I can't wait to give it a test on my next rain walk. I'll just have to wait for the toe to clear up first.

Distance walked today: 0km
Total distance walked since blog began: 78.4km

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to start the bidding with 10c.
Didn't you just learn that word (munted) yesterday?
The jacket sounds nice!

Anonymous said...

off topic (i'm at course and don't have access to my email account) we are having a get together tomorrow night feel free to pop over.

It's probably a 20k round trip so a good chance to catch up on those k's you've been missing out on lately ;)

Kerry

Walking fool said...

Thanks, but it's painful enough getting my shoe on at the moment, let alone walking 20km.

Erik said...

i'll give you 50,000 yen for it, serious.

Walking fool said...

50,000 yen? Done! I also have some other work available, including "The Shopping List". Interested?