Wednesday 4 March 2009

How I used the walking map

Here's how I ended up using the Gokaido Walk walking map when I walked the Nakasendo in 2007.

The map came in a plastic case and was rolled up like this. When I unrolled it, it came apart in 13 sections, each representing around 40km. I took each section and folded it every 5.4cm, the equivalent of 1km in the real world. I then proceeded to weatherproof the map as follows:

Step 1: Prepare the folded walking map and a snap-lock bag.

Step 2: Remove one section of the walking map.

Step 3: Partly unfold the section to a length representing 4km.

Step 4: Carefully insert the map in the snap-lock bag.

Step 5: Fold and seal the snap-lock bag.

If I didn't need the map for a while (on a long stretch of straight road, for example), I simply slipped it into one of my trouser thigh pockets.

The only drawback to this method is that you have to refold the map every 4km. This can be tricky if it's raining, but I got it down to a fine art and managed to keep the map dry most of time. The secret is to put your hand into the bag and refold the map without exposing it the elements.

Distance walked today: 0km
Total distance walked since Tokaido training began: 73.9km
Days left until departure: 74

No comments: