Sunday 13 May 2018

Day 4: Hachioji - Kawagoe

Distance covered: 36 km (by train)
Weather: Mainly cloudy

With my knees still giving me trouble, I decided walking 36 km was out of the question. After breakfasting at the hotel restaurant on all-you-can-eat bread, a boiled egg and coffee, I went to the station and caught the 8.17 train to Kawagoe. 



The train journey to Kawagoe took an hour, as opposed to the seven or so hours it would have taken on foot. I also saved myself a lot of pain and discomfort. As I walked from the station to the warehouse district, it started to drizzle. It continued to rain on and off for the rest of the day, but it didn't really bother me. It was my first time in the city, and I enjoyed strolling around looking at the old buildings, many dating from the Edo period.








Just after midday, I headed back to Kawagoe Station and caught a train to Shinjuku. There I checked into the hotel where I'd spent my first night before heading to Kannai and where I'd left my suitcase. After resting for an hour or so I went out in search of a pair of knee supporters. I found what I thought were some reasonably priced ones at Tokyu Hands, but when I got back to my hotel room and removed the packaging I was horrified to find just a single supporter inside. At first I was angry. It seemed bizarre to me that knee supporters would be sold individually and not in pairs. I mean, nobody buys just a single shoe. So who on earth would buy just a single knee supporter? The answer, which when it came to me made perfect sense, was people who have one sore knee! Anyway, after another rest I went back to Tokyo Hands and bought another one. I also got on the Internet and found some exercises designed to relieve knee pain. With any luck I'd be better by the morning and able to resume my walk along Route 16 from Kawagoe.

No comments: