Thursday 19 November 2009

Three telegrams

Charlie Parker's telegrams to Chan Parker on hearing of the death of their two-year-old daughter Pree in March 1954.
4.11 AM
MY DARLING MY DAUGHTER'S DEATH SURPRISED ME MORE THAN IT DID YOU DON'T FULFILL FUNERAL PROCEEDINGS UNTIL I GET THERE I SHALL BE THE FIRST ONE TO WALK INTO OUR CHAPEL FORGIVE ME FOR NOT BEING THERE WITH YOU WHILE YOU WERE AT THE HOSPITAL YOURS MOST SINCERELY YOUR HUSBAND
CHARLIE PARKER

4.13 AM
MY DARLING FOR GOD'S SAKE HOLD ON TO YOURSELF
CHAS PARKER

4.15 AM
CHAN, HELP
CHARLIE PARKER

2 comments:

Cozette said...

I just heard these read on the Ken Burns "Jazz" documentary (there was one more). It is so touching. I believe he had just been released from jail, having been arrested the night before when he went for a sandwich between sets.

Walking fool said...

Thanks Cozette. I'm glad you found them as touching as I did. I haven't seen that documentary. I will add it to my "to do" list!