Wednesday 30 September 2009

The Sea at L'Estaque


Drizzle. Got up at around six thirty and watched the final hour or so of the cricket. Surprisingly considering our poor form of late and the injuries to three of our key players we beat England. We even ended up top of our pool. Better still, two of our nemeses, Sri Lanka and South Africa, are out of the tournament.

Checked my email. The work I was expecting to arrive over night hadn't come in, so I decided to go for a walk. Toyed with the idea of going to Riccarton, but eventually decided to head into town. Lovely flowers along the way. Sale at Country Road. Tried on some jackets, but nothing fit. Stopped at Alice in Videoland where I hired a Werner Herzog documentary, Wheel of Time, and a set of three Wim Wenders documentaries, including Tokyo-Ga (1985). The latter includes a scene with Werner Herzog atop Tokyo Tower. Here it is on YouTube without any subtitles. I have no idea what he's on about but it sounds important.



Went to a Japanese supermarket and bought some umeboshi for Mrs Fool, who's feeling poorly. Thinks she's coming down with a cold. Also went to the library. Surprised to find they had a copy of Rebecca Solnit's Wanderlust, which I was about to order from Amazon. Unfortunately it was on loan.

On the way home I noticed how green the Port Hills looked. Green and brown. I tried to paint a copy of Paul Cézanne's The Sea at L'Estaque, but I couldn’t reproduce the colors. For years the painting (in acrylics on a large piece of cardboard) remained unfinished, hidden behind the sofa in the living room. Another project abandoned. Another dream unrealised.

No comments: