Saturday 11 July 2009

The "best walk in the world"

According to Walkopedia, the kora (pilgrimage) around Mount Kailash in Tibet is the best walk in the world.

I've wanted to go to Tibet since I was a teenager. Getting to Mount Kailash would be half the fun. This tour takes you in on foot from Nepal. The gradual climb up the Humla Valley is designed so that your body can acclimatize to the extremely high altitude (over 5000m) at the actual mountain. The only drawback I can see is that there don't appear to be many cafes in the area.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about rating the two Japanese walks using the Walkopedia rating system?

Amy Jefferson said...

Hi there, I enjoy the nostalgia brought on by your blog. I was in Tibet with my parents when I was just 12. Thank your for it!

Local Trekking Agency in Nepal said...

Tibet, on the lofty Tibetan Plateau on the northern side of the Himalayas, is an autonomous region of China. It's nicknamed the “Roof of the World” for its towering peaks. It shares Mt. Everest with Nepal. Its capital, Lhasa, is the site of hilltop Potala Palace, once the Dalai Lama’s winter home, and Jokhang Temple, Tibet’s spiritual heart, revered for its golden statue of the young Buddha.