Monday 23 April 2007

Baby steps

This morning I donned my cowboy outfit and walked the 5km into town to buy tickets to the Steely Dan concert in September. I could have telephoned or bought tickets over the Internet, but I'm mindful of the need to take every opportunity I can to pile on the kilometers in the lead up to the Nakasendo walk/art project, particularly in light of Erik's recent sterling achievements (not that it's a competition or anything).

I packed my poncho in the hope that I might get to give it a road test, but despite the forecast of showers and the presence on my departure of several ominous-looking dark clouds overhead, it remained dry throughout the morning, and was actually pleasantly warm and sunny for the journey home (dammit!).

Skyped with Erik this afternoon (yesterday night his time), and the conversation turned to ideas about the art facet of the Nakasendo project. Interestingly, we've been having very similar thoughts e.g. using found paper objects (flyers, newspaper clippings, receipts, etc.) we've picked up - and possibly prints of photos we've taken - along the way to make collages at the end of each day's walk, perhaps collaging over prints from The Sixty-Nine Stations of the Kisokaido. It was a very satisfying and fruitful discussion, and my enthusiasm is building almost daily.

Distance walked today: 10.4km
Total distance walked since blog began: 29.9km

No comments: